Sunday, August 29, 2010

Possible Impossibilities #1


When the sun was no more than a few months old, I dreamed we were visiting my grandmother's house. The family there is thoroughly indoctrinated and devoutly Christian. Assume what you will here. Read between the lines.

So anyway, in the dream, I lay my little one down on the couch to sleep, and join a conversation about who-knows-what with my kin. While slumbering, the sun begins to physically levitate in his sleep, lifting as much as 8 or 9 inches off of the couch. 

My family is in shock. They all watch in silent awe and slight disgust, until one of them breaks the silence and asks "Kim what have you been teaching him? This is wrong. People are not supposed to do that."

I reply, "I teach him he can be anything. . . do anything. That there are no limits. I teach him to question, to explore, and to defy the odds. . . to fly." 

The relative who broke the silence shakes her head and says "That is a sin against God. People can't fly. You're going to Hell."

I pick up the sun and leave. Then, I wake up. 

Fast forward to yesterday. The sun (who is now a budding young 6th grader) and I are spending quality time together. He initiates a random conversation out of the blue (as he so often does) about whatever's on his mind at the moment. This time, it is about his dreams. 

"Oh mama...." (the way he always starts the conversation when he's been dying to tell me something but until that point had not been able to find the right words to do so)..."I had this weird dream. Well, I think it was a dream. It seemed like I was awake though. I could see everything in the room. But I fell asleep right here on the floor last night while I was watching TV, and then I just started floating a few inches off the floor. I didn't want to move, because I thought I would fall down. It seemed real. . .Has that happened to you before?" 

I remembered my dream from years ago then. I'd never shared any of them with him.  Guess this is a sign that it's time to start.  I rummaged through tablet upon tablet of old notes and scattered thoughts with dust collected on them to find where I'd written that one down. I had to be sure I wasn't imagining things. 

Found it. I wasn't. I shared it with him. 

I spent the rest of yesterday in somewhat of a quiet contemplative state, wandering aimlessly about the possibilities of the impossible...like "flying" when you're hard-wired to believe you can not. 

Or is it a safer practice to not partake in that fruit? 


- kj

No comments:

Post a Comment