Tuesday, February 8, 2011

She. Me. We.




She is who I was many moons ago, before I became the me I am now. She is relevant; a shining testament of what once was. What's more, she was some other me before then, and the one before her was an offspring of its predecessor.

She smiles back at me in the photograph. Past, meet your present. I am a 'now' with the future in mind.

I have learned yesterday's secrets. They went over my head then. Rightfully so; I wasn't ready. In truth, I would've squandered their value. They are reference points now.

I am learning to gift wrap the present and offer it up in exchange for tomorrows that make more sense. Such is the way of growth, I suppose...each level mounting the back of the former in building block fashion until a grand pyramid of some not so distant higher self is erected.

She smiles at me still. . . knowing all of this somehow. A suspended ageless remnant, frozen in some happy moment in time. They probably told her to 'say cheese' on the count of 3.

Her sunglasses don't match her outfit. There is nothing in that hideous indian leather purse she has on her shoulder. She has twigs in her pigtails, untied ribbons, missing barrettes and grass stains on that dress that onlookers would never know were there on account of her lower body being cut out of the frame.

Still, she is innocent, pure and full of wonder...virtually untainted by the world around her. An empty vessel waiting to be filled with experiences, doubling over in limitless untapped potential.

I was her once - that girl of 5.

The more experienced woman of the moment admires her in retrospect, knowing that one day (upon collecting more pieces of herself) the entire body of work will smile in a moment's contentment at the end of the journey they have all embarked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment